Friday, August 6, 2010

Oh, Life...

Sometimes life just throws in those ironic little twists that I can't help but laugh. Tonight brought one of those twists.

I'm not too sure how common this knowledge is, so I'll just throw it out there: Over the past few years, I've struggled, and struggled deeply, with my testimony. The hows and the whys are too complex to bother typing out here, but up until my last few months in Oregon, I hadn't been to church regularly in over two years. And to apply the term "regularly" to my current level attendance would be a VERY liberal interpretation of the term. For the past year or so, however, I've definitely been doing a lot more thinking, pondering, and attending. The one glaring omission from that list above, obviously, is prayer. For many, many reasons, this is the most difficult thing for me to do.

Tonight I was in my kitchen making orzo and watching MTV's "16 and Pregnant" (yeah, I love trashy reality TV shows. That's a moral failing for another post) when there was a knock on the door and who should appear: the missionaries and a brother from the ward.

Fast forward two and a half hours, and they're leaving me after one gut-wrenching conversation having extracted a major, major promise from me: to vocally pray this evening. Once I give my word to someone I cannot go back on it. Trust and promises are a big thing for me. Even before they left though I was feeling stressed about the prospect of praying. I can't explain it, but I was filled with so many conflicting emotions I felt like I was being torn apart, literally. The only place I could think of to go was the temple. So I did.

By the time I got to the temple it was dark out and the gates around the ground were locked. I started wandering around the back of the temple, looking for a place to pray. But it was dark. And the grass was wet. And I was hungry because I never got around to eating the orzo. And I still hadn't showered after returning from a camping trip earlier in the evening so I was beyond gross. And... I was on my umpteenth mental excuse when I found myself face first on the ground, with that wet grass sticking to my greasy hair and my growling stomach left somewhere in the air above my head after my sudden bodily descent.

Yes, brothers and sisters, it is true: pride goeth before the fall. And in my case, my pride has reached such heights of grandeur that the Lord has seen fit to lower me. Literally. By placing holes (deep holes! More like trenches! or ditches!) in my path. Not paying attention in the dark, I stepped straight into some mid-calf hole. I was half way between laughing and crying when I noticed I had landed directly on my knees, in front of the portion of the temple engraved "Holiness to the Lord, the House of the Lord."

Now did God really plant that hole in my path? Maybe not, but I decided to take advantage of my position and go ahead and pray. The heavens did not part, my doubts were not confounded in one fell swoop, but it definitely stirred a few thoughts and emotions that have been missing. I will not wait so long to do this again. My ankle hurts too much for that.

6 comments:

Justin and Coralie said...

I hope you find the answers you're looking for - this definitely seems like quite the fall! ;) It's been a long time since I've prayed aloud (by myself), but it's good to really talk to the Lord. Thanks for the reminder.

Sant Family said...

You know, I think we all go through these ups and downs and phasing in and out. SO MANY times I have been perplexed with a problem only to realize I never prayed about it.

Duh!

I can count on one hand the number of times prayer has resolved something immediately, but it does seem to help me get to the direction and place I need to be.

Love, Tifani
PS - I LOVE 16 and Pregnant! I subtitled it "How NOT to Parent".

Ksenia said...

I'm so glad I found your blog! I really enjoyed reading about your experience. Sincere prayer is not easy for me either. I find it comforting when I find myself just talking to this someone who is complete patient, understanding, and trustworthy. Often I'm not even on my knees, my eyes aren't closed... I can be in the middle of doing something else.

Like Sants said, I don't usually find solutions immediately after a prayer, but they sure help me sort things out and feel comforted.

Thanks for sharing your story.

Jessi said...

Thank you to all of you for the kind words. I am slowly realizing that my little hang-ups have been fully self-induced (no surprise there, huh??) and I'm really enjoying getting back into old practices. I'm finding that reading the scriptures regularly is providing me with more comfort and more answers than I have found before. This is something that is very difficult for me to talk about, but I think I will keep blogging about it when appropriate to get great feedback like this.

Alison Lee said...

Oh Jessi, I discovered your blog today and read this post. I love it! It made me smile and laugh to the point that I had to read it to Tyler. By small and simple things... like holes :) Love you!

G said...

Kindred spirit! I don't know why, but as I read this post I kept thinking about the lesson I taught in primary today. (Yes, I get to be a teacher of adolescents SIX days a week!)

In the lesson Elijah calls down fire from heaven to prove to the Israelites that their false gods are, well, false. Then someone tries to kill him and he runs away and hides. Even though he is a prophet, the Lord still speaks comfort to him in a still small voice, and not in a heaven-parting fireworks display. I don't know why that gets to me so much. I don't even know what it means all the way, but I thought I'd leave it as food for thought.

How have your first few weeks back to school been? I'm teaching 6th and 8th grade now and I'm very much loving it. What are you teaching?